Monday, February 23, 2009

Your Relationship With Your Putter


When I first started to take this game seriously I was stationed at Ft. McClellan, Alabama. My BOQ overlooked the 12th hole of the Post's course where, for $13 a month, I could play unlimited golf. I started out with a used set of Northwesterns and a burning desire and absolutely no skill. Unfortunately most of my partners were about as skillful as I was so there was no learning from them. It seems that you can't become proficient in golf in the Army until you reach field grade rank. I'm thinking they had more time on their hands than a lowly Captain.

I have fond memories of that place despite the fact that it cost me more in lost balls than monthly membership to play it. The only tournament I've ever won was the annual Callaway at McClellan. How does a hacker win a tournament you ask? Google Callaway handicapping system and you'll have your answer. You throw out your high scoring hole, divide by the phase of the moon and...well you get the picture.

In that bag of rusty Northwesterns was my first putter, also a Northwestern. Its a flat blade that looks like a miniature golf castoff and it got a lot of laughs through the years. Every now and then I would give in to the unrational idea that the putter was making me miss the putts and go out and buy a new one. When sanity returned and I realized that I was the problem not the club, I'd go back to the old Northwestern and like a faithful family dog it would serve me well.

This Christmas I bought a Liquid Metal blade putter. I almost felt like I was cheating on the old Northwestern. Here I was, running off to the course with this beautiful shiny putter that feels so good in my hands and rolls the ball so true, and the Northwestern sits in a dust covered bag in the garage. There are times when I spot it and I think of all the places we've gone together. Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Maui, Jamaica, Vegas all felt the sweep of that ugly little club. I won my fair share of skins and snakes and greenies with that putter. Thirty years is a long time. I'm thinking maybe I'll bring it inside and put in in my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment