Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Fine Art of Golf Ball Marking


While not required by the rules of golf, it is highly encouraged that you mark your ball in a distinctive manner to enable you and your partners to easily identify the little white thing buried in the four inch rough. We've all seen the typical two red dots or two black dots or the occasional rebel who puts three dots on his ball. There are also those, who in giant font, inscribe their initials or first name if it can be spelled with three letters or less (Joe, Bob, Duh).

Several years ago I received a ball marking machine from my in laws. It was designed to imprint three initials. With a little work and a lot of time I was able to mark three balls with "Mine Not Yours". I promptly lost two of them and one of my partners hit the third one into the pond. Ah well.

I follow a golf blog Brads Wonderful World of Golf who is sponsoring a ball marking contest in the month of April. Pop over there for the details. I really can't wait to see what works of art respond to the contest and I'll be sure to report on the winners when they are decided in the first week of May.

OK you may have noticed the photo of a Nike marked with three dots two eyebrows and a tongue. Yes that's my entry. No I don't play with it. For some of you sharp eyed readers, you may have already picked up on this ball being a Nike "practice ball". A nice euphemism for X-Out.

I got a box of these things from a well meaning but cheap co-worker who was my Secret Santa many years ago. Really nice gal but she was into Phillipean ethnic dancing not golf. She can't pick out golf balls and I can't pick out jewelry. Fortunately she can. We were both in Huatulco Mexico as winners of a sales contest (along wit the rest of our sales team) and she picked out a beautiful necklace for my wife. It made an excellent guilt gift.

Hualtulco has one golf course and a unique design philosophy that trees should not be removed even if they are in the middle of the fairway. But that's another post.

So check out the ball marking contest or maybe even enter it. Good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks and a great story also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the technology of golf balls to grow at a rapid pace, the improvement is the four-piece ball. It combines the features of good distance, spin, and feel that are generally marketed towards the more skilled player with professional golfers PGA. Each of the four layers allows the ball to maximum distance, spin and feel. You get great distance with the driver, a back lot with half board, and sufficient control with wedges and feel with the putter.

    ReplyDelete