Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thank You Ben Hogan


Every golfer goes through ups and downs in the game. Humiliation is, after all, a major part of the sport. Golf is a real test of how you handle humiliation. We've all been there. Nothing goes right (except your slice), you swear, you throw clubs in the pond and generally make an ass out of yourself in front of your group. If it wasn't for the money you were losing to them they would probably tell you to shut up and get off the course.

Then something happens and you seem to be back on course. Many times that "something" is an unfounded confidence in a new club (see Truism #2). Typically this new found confidence disappears before the Master Card bill for the new club reaches your mailbox.

For me it was a bit more lasting.

When my parents where getting ready to move from Chicago to Naples Fl, my Dad found a book as he was cleaning out the attic. It was Ben Hogans' "The Modern Fundamentals of Golf". Dad was not a golfer. He'd go to golf outings to be with his buddies and drink beer. He discribed his golf swing as "killing snakes" and in fact cleared enough land with his divots to start a small corn field. Rather than toss the book he sent it to his golfaholic son in California.

I didn't read it for a year. I mean the book says "Modern Fundamentals" but it was printed in 1957. Isn't that like building a plane based on Wilbur Wright's "Fundamentals of Modern Aerodesign"?

When my game cycled back down into the dumps I decided I needed to do something and I didn't want to spend money on a new club. I cracked open the book and started to read.

Two things jumped out at me. First was the language. It was different, it was more formal, it was 40 years old. Then the illustrations. They were detailed. You could see the position of hands, see what muscles were being used. This was not a book on "golf tips"; this was a book on how to swing the club. Hogan explains how the body parts work in a coordinated fashion and he does it in a fashion that you can feel when you practice. This guy is a genius.

I went out to the range and hit a few buckets. I was amazed at how straight and long I was hitting with no desernable effort. Tempo, tempo, tempo! Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching.

That was about 10 years ago and I still get people commenting on my smooth swing. I can't putt for crap but at least I don't embarass myself off the tee. I would highly recommend this book for anybody who is struggling with their swing.

Thanks Ben!

No comments:

Post a Comment